Re: How to keep track of files installed from sources?

The dance only need be done once.  If before doing the dance script
<enter> is typed and after the dance exit <enter> is typed.  The file
typescript will then have the whole dance program inside it.On Fri, 9 Mar
2012, Karl Vogel wrote:

> >> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:53:49 +0100,
> >> Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> said:
>
> C> I want to install GNUstep from sources on my Debian GNU/Linux SID sytem.
> C> How can I know where come installed files after I did run: ./configure
> C> && make && sudo -E make install commands?
>
> C> this is important if I decide later to uninstall files installed from
> C> sources.
>
>    If you want a list of what files were installed, the easiest way is
>    probably to do the configure/make/make install dance twice.  The first
>    time, install under a disposable directory:
>
>      root# mkdir /tmp/local
>      root# cd /your/source/directory
>      root# ./configure --prefix=/tmp/local --whatever
>      root# make && make install
>
>    If you're planning on installing under /usr/local:
>
>      root# find /tmp/local -printf "%y %p %m %u %g %l\n" | sort -k2,2 |
>            sed -e 's!/tmp/local!/usr/local!' > list-of-installed-files
>      root# rm -rf /tmp/local
>      root# make distclean       # or make realclean, start from scratch
>      root# ./configure ...      # use real options this time
>      root# make && make check && make install
>
>    "find" gives the filetype, path, mode, owner, group, and an optional 6th
>    field if the file is a symbolic link; "sort" gives results sorted by
>    filename.  Some sample output:
>
>      d /usr/local/bin 755 root bin
>      f /usr/local/bin/antiword 755 root bin
>      f /usr/local/bin/authlog 755 root bin
>      f /usr/local/bin/avg 755 root bin
>      l /usr/local/bin/bootlog 777 root bin authlog
>      d /usr/local/lib 755 root bin
>
>    Here, /usr/local/bin/bootlog is a symlink to /usr/local/bin/authlog.
>    If you're paranoid, either save the output from "make install" or do a
>    separate check to make sure nothing was written outside of /usr/local:
>
>      root# find / /usr -xdev -mtime -1 -ls

Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>