Re: screensaver login password failed with correct password

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 21:16:19 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> since last time I
>>
>> cp /etc/passwd passwd.old
>>
>> Later used vipw deleted one un-existed user entry.
>>
>> I thought something wrong, so I
>> mv passwd,old passwd back.
>>
>> Anyway, later I use vipw again deleted that entry.
>>
>> But the problem showed up:
>>
>> for user lina,
>> I can login, no problem,
>> but once the screensaver (xfce4) worked, the password not worked
>> anymore. use Alt+Ctr+F1 login as lina works.
>
> I would first create a new user, login with it and check if xscreensaver
> works for there just to discard a problem with the package itself.
Thanks for your suggestions.

It's pretty weird, the new user even don't need password. (maybe not
weird, I spent some time trying to find where I can set "asking
password during waking up from screensaver, but in vain.")

>> part of the /var/log/auth.log as following:
>>
>> Mar  9 20:54:32 Debian xscreensaver[4733]: FAILED LOGIN 2 ON DISPLAY ":0", FOR "lina"
>> Mar  9 20:54:35 Debian unix_chkpwd[6032]: check pass; user unknown
>> Mar  9 20:54:46 Debian unix_chkpwd[6033]: check pass; user unknown
>> Mar  9 20:54:46 Debian unix_chkpwd[6033]: password check failed for user (lina)
>> Mar  9 20:54:46 Debian xscreensaver[4733]: pam_unix(xscreensaver:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=1000 euid=1000 tty=:0.0 ruser= rhost=  user=lina
>
> (...)
>
> Mmm, "lina" is your current user and is actually available, right?
Yes.

>> Form http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=466741 I couldn't
>> find the  libpam-foreground  package.
>
> That bug is quite old. What's your "gnome-screensaver" version?

I just "update" this bug (I mean, I file a bugreport minutes ago),

The xscreensaver is the latest version, for sid and wheezy they are
the same version.

I don't have gnome-screensaver?

> Also, as mentioned there, check your "/etc/shadow" file permissions.
>
>> The only way I can do is that in the screensaver parts, reboot.
Now I found a new way, logout "lina" by root and re-login.

>> I also did some update recently, don't know which parts went wrong,
>
> Review which packages have been updated, they should be under "/var/log/
> apt/*" or "/var/log/dpkg*".
>
> Anyway, since a recent update I also started to face problems with
> gnome-keyring, it remains unlocked at login...
>
> Greetings,
Thanks,

Best wishes,