Re: using bittorrent for backup of personal files

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 06:18:40PM +0100, 0xAAA wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 07:18:49PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I already use BackupPC successfully for offsite backups between family
> > members.  Very large files are sometimes a problem, however, which is
> > why I'm considering bittorrent to supplement BackupPC.
> >

> Thats the problem with a very slow  bandwidth (I have only 250 kbps) which makes
> a backup of more  than 1500 GB stuff nearly impossible!  The p2p torrent network
> has - in this situation - no advantage! The upload with ftp or http has the same
> speed. p2p  networks are  designed to provide  a constant  "download-speed". But
> upload is the problem of your dsl provider.
> p2p is more about "sharing" things. It was not built to backup large files. This
> is the task of ftp or maybe nfs

What I like about bittorrent is that it is very easy to throttle the
upload and download speeds.  That makes a big difference in internet
usability (at least in my experience).  Rsync (as done with BackupPC)
tends to max out your connection speed, making web browsing slow.

> > I want to keep this data private.  What are my options, besides a VPN?
> > I hesitate to use a public torrent even on encrypted data, because the
> > computers of tomorrow may easily crack today's encryption using brute
> > force.
>
> One possible solution to your privacy problem  is that you can encrypt your data
> at your  local site  and load  the crypted stuff  up to  the p2p  server. Furter
> details can be found in gpg(1).

Yeah, but I don't like the idea of allowing my encrypted data to be
downloaded by anybody.  The data will essentially be available forever
if I use a publicly-available torrent.  Someday my encryption may end up
being crackable.  I'm not dealing with extremely sensitive data, just
family photos and stuff.  But I still would rather not rely on gpg to
keep my data secure *forever*.

-Rob