OT: Newbie questions on security

Hi there.

I've recently read Securing Debian Manual and I have some newbie
questions connected with security.
I've thought that debian-security is the right list
for them, but I was wrong.
What is the proper list for such questions?

Here is an example:
What is more secure: dedicated server or VPS?
I've been told that a hoster has an ability to look through the files on the VM.
Why people use this solution for MTAs?  Do they care about privacy? Is
it possible to hide your data from the staff?

Cheers

P.S. I have more questions to ask and I don't really know where to
post them. So I need your advice. Sorry for the OT.