Re: rsync

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 12:27:13PM +0800, lina wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> It's a password-exemption ssh.
> >
> > This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but you could open a new
> > terminal on the local machine, then ssh to the remote machine with this
> > command:
> >
> > ssh -t remotemachine "cd Documents; bash"
>
> I didn't realize the xterm can do the work.
>
> Have been spent hours to tweak the ".Xresource" to make it the same as
> the terminal, but still lots of difference.
> How can I let the xterm shared the same terminal as the shell terminal
> I am using.

I don't know the answer to that.

The more I think about this, the more I feel you should probably use
'screen'.  Try this:

ssh remotemachine

cd /some/directory

screen
( now hit enter or spacebar if it asks you to )

ls
( now hit Ctrl-a, then hit c )
( you now have a new screen session, in the same directory as your previous one )

pwd
( now hit Ctrl-a, then hit " )
( you now see a list of your active screens.  Choose the first one and you'll see the 'ls' command that you ran earlier )

Do a 'man screen' and look for the section called 'DEFAULT KEY BINDINGS'
Take note that when they say 'C-a', that stands for 'Control-a'

While you are at it, read up on detaching and re-attaching in screen.

-Rob