Re: sound issues

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> wrote:
2012/3/2 Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com>
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 05:35, Raffaele Morelli
<raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> wrote:

> if you want two or more audio apps to share the same sound device, start
> qjackctl, tell vlc to use jack output module and do the same with other apps
> if needed.
>
> In qjackctl connection panel you should see all your alsa compliant apps
> listed as readable clients and the sound device as writeable clients.
>
> Using skype together with other apps is also possible even if it's a little
> more tricky, have a look at
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/Jack_and_Loopback_device_as_Alsa-to-Jack_bridge
>
> I can run skype togeter with other jack/alsa compliant apps, record them
> and/or route audio output between them using Qjackctl.

That sounds excessively complicated. PA will work fine (and automatically),
it just needs to be setup correctly. I set mine up long ago, and it has never
given me problems (well, a few times the PA volume got muted and had to
be unmuted, but that is about it)

As I said it's not trivial... but he only needs a loopback device and a jackplugin if he wants to record stuff coming from skype, flashplayers and other non jack compliant apps

For vlc+skype to work jack and qjackctl is enough, BTW qjackctl it's the way to go he wants to control everything.

-r

Recording hasn't been an issue for me, probably because I haven't actually had the need to try it.  But, this sounds interesting because at some point, I might want to grab some audio via a flashplayer or skype.