Re: USB speaker as "internal audio"?

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 06:32:44 -0800, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:

> Hi, Im running Debian testing with XFCE, and PulseAudio as my sound
> system.
>
> I currently have a pair of cheap speakers plugged into the "sound out"
> on my computer, and then two different USB speakers for higher-quality
> stuff.
>
> I want to get a pair of small USB speakers as my "main" desktop
> speakers. Is there a way to tell the system to use these speakers as my
> "internal audio" device? I want to be able to hear system sounds etc.
> thru these speakers. Right now if I unplug the normal "sound out"
> speakers, i get no system sounds at all, nothing goes automatically to
> either of the USB speakers. In the PulseAudio volume control, the
> "system sounds" just has a volume slider, it doesn't let you choose an
> output device.

This is from PA wiki:

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/DefaultDevice

Which seems to point "pavucontrol", as well as this other site:

How do I switch to another audio output sink in XFCE?
http://askubuntu.com/questions/107277/how-do-i-switch-to-another-audio-output-sink-in-xfce

I wonder if there's not really another way to get the job done without
having to install a bunch of extra GNOME dependency files, maybe the
manual way can have the same effect, though not that easy nor convenient.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón