/etc/alternatives contains files

Hi

Some packages failed to upgrade in my lenny to squeeze update because
updare-alternatives encountered a file rather than a symbolic link. An
example of this was fakeroot which produced the error:

"update-alternatives: error: readlink(/etc/alternatives/fakeroot)
failed: Invalid argument"

The file (/etc/alternatives/fakeroot) contains a shell script which has
the comment:

"# This script first starts faked (the daemon), and then it will run
# the requested program with fake root privileges."

After I moved this file out of the way I was able to upgrade the package
fakeroot and new symbolic links were generated.

There are over 100 of these files in the /etc/alternatives directory all
dating from the same date in 2008 and presumably left over from a
previous upgrade.

Would it be safe to delete these files and run update-alternatives to
generate new symbolic links.

Bob