Re: Persisting a one-off hostname change

On 28 February 2012 03:28, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> I've been lurking, hoping to learn. Maybe I don't fully understand, but ---
> Wouldn't you be better off using the MAC address of the interface chip in each computer
> rather than a random number. The MAC address is supposed to be unique. I know it can be
> changed in software, but the value stored in ROM should be adequate for your purpose.

I like that idea! This means it would also be invariant over any
subsequent re-images.

I'd still want to have the prefix on the hostname, otherwise it'll
make life difficult for production staff. But it's still a pattern
that can be checked.

> And keep in mind that you might want to do the change as a two step process. First do
> edits that get the computer bootable with a strictly temporary hostname, then when
> booting with that temporary name, edit and reboot with a more permanent and convenient
> name for the follow-on use/processing of the individual computer.

I don't think a two step process is necessary. If a script can check
check whether the hostname is what it should be... well, why make it
require manual intervention?

— Jason