Wheezy - aptitude safe-upgrade vs apt-get dist-upgrade

OK, Y'all.  Confusin', confusin', confusin.....

Been safely running Wheezy on my home desktop and lovin' it even w. the occasional slight breaks, etc. But a while ago, I upgraded and lost my admin and system submenus under the System menu at the gnome top panel. Really not been a big pain and thought I might get them back but so far nothing happened. Sooooo, I goggled the prob' and found that my upgrade changed some stuff in gnome to the gnome 3(like the help files and removed the aformentioned submenus) and left the rest intact. So the recommendation to someone at the forum I was reading was to do an apt-get dist-upgrade and the person did so and she got her submenus back but lost her panels. I know that she went from Gnome 2.3.x to Gnome 3 w. the upgrade and that is what I need to do too but when I did an apt-get update to see what all would be changed, I was astounded to see that a whole lot of stuff would be removed, added and more upgraded. I'm sitting here thinking that I keep my system up to date using aptitude daily w. update and then safe-upgrade and while I knew there were some differences between aptitude and apt-get, I had no idea there would be this much difference.

Quetjun'.... Is it safe to do an apt-get dist-upgrade? I mean it says it will add over a Gig of new files and stuff while removing a number of files. I know that when I do an aptitude safe-upgraade I always get recommended files at the end of the statement and assume that those recommended files are a big part of this upgrade.

Can anyone shed some light on this and let me know I'm most likely NOT going to brick my system by doing this major apt-get dist-upgrade?

TIA and so appreciate your help.
Whit