Re: Installing Windows with Debian already installed

Hi Hans

The rescue mode of the Debian Live CD has a grub installer. In the end all I had  to do is give it the device file for the hard disk.

I'm not sure if Windows did appear in the grub menu after reinstalling. But I ran grub-update and it did show the next time around.

Since the rescue mode is not particularly user-friendly, I will get RIP, thanks for the hint.

And thanks everybody for the advice!

Gustavo

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
Am Sonntag, 26. Februar 2012 schrieb Brian:
> On Sun 26 Feb 2012 at 13:34:12 -0430, Gustavo J Mata wrote:
>
> I recently installed Debian on a new hard disk. Although I rarely used
> Windows I kept a 20 Gb partition to +install it, just in case.
>
> I've found out that if I do install Windows, I won't be able to boot
> Debian. Although it appears that this +can be fixed, I want to make sure
> I know what I'm doing before risking having to start all over again.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Have you got a USB stick handy? Using fdisk make a Linux primary
> partition on it, or part of it. Format the partiton ext2 (mkfs.ext2).
>
> Mount the partition you have created:
>
>    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
>
> Install GRUB to the MBR of the stick:
>
>    grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdb
>
> This will create /boot/grub on the stick and put GRUB's files there.
>
> Copy /boot/grub/grub.cfg to /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg. Boot from the USB
> stick. Can you get into your expected Debian?
>
> The sdb is on my machine (not yours) and I'm using testing. I'm unsure
> whether --boot-directory is --root-directory on Squeeze. Read the manual
> for this.
>
> I've no idea what Windows does when it installs but if it leaves the
> other partitions undisturbed you should be able to get Debian running
> and put GRUB back on the hard disk's

Hi Gustavo,

in this case I am using R.I.P. (Rescue is Possible), which is a livefile-CD for
those purposes. Also you can use the debian installer CD in rescue mode as
well, but my tries did not succeed with it (just because I was not quite
experienced with it).

RIP includes a detailed manual, how to restore grub on the drive again.

Just google for RIP, it is free and open source.

Good luck!

Hans