Re: Adjusting sound file volume

Celejar wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > If you get the version of sox built with the non-free mp3 libraries
> > then it should play it.  I have not installed it but I believe that
> > such a version is available from the http://debian-multimedia.org/
> > Marillat site.  Please be kind to them and use a mirror to keep their
> > bandwidth use reasonable.
>
> Is it really true that mp3 playback, as opposed to encoding, is not
> available without software from multimedia? I have no repos in my
> apt.sources except for the official squeeze + backports, and mplayer
> plays mp3s fine.

The original poster was actually talking about an m4a file which is a
file type that I have run into problems with before.  Apple has made
those files popular.  And it was in relation to sox.  And then I was
sloppy because when I tried the command on Squeeze I got the following
error:

  $ sox -v 0.5 foo.m4a foo.wav
  [aac @ 0x944bdf0]SBR not implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to
  the newest one from SVN. If the problem still occurs, it means that
  your file has a feature which has not been implemented.

The sox version in Squeeze does not handle m4a files.  [If you see
"sox FAIL formats: no handler for file extension `m4a'" then you need
libsox-fmt-all installed.  Which I needed when I tested this on a
clean Squeeze system.]

However you are right that the original poster said he got:

  $ sox -v 0.1 Kedushah.m4a Kedushah.mp3
  sox FAIL formats: can't open output file `Kedushah.mp3': SoX was
  compiled without MP3 encoding support

Which is a different error and is talking about the encoding.  I was
distracted by the original poster's comments that various utilities
would not read the file and didn't realize that in this case the
problem was writing (encoding) the file.  With the above error it is
clear that the version flavor of the program is either from Wheezy/Sid
or from debian-multimedia.org.

Marc, In which case you should try using sox with a different output
file format.

  $ sox -v 0.1 Kedushah.m4a Kedushah.wav
Or
  $ sox -v 0.1 Kedushah.m4a Kedushah.ogg

Also since the above is simply using ffmpeg it makes sense that sox
and ffmpeg would have the same capabilities.  In Squeeze the ffmpeg
program will not read m4a files.  If you try it you will find these
same messages emitted.

  [aac @ 0x93ed160]SBR not implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to
  the newest one from SVN. If the problem still occurs, it means that
  your file has a feature which has not been implemented.

However the version from debian-multimedia.org can read the file
file.  I also just tested Sid a moment ago and the Sid version can
also read the file file.  So whatever the state of the situation today
for Squeeze it will be a somewhat different situation for Wheezy.

And finally back to mplayer.  I just tested mplayer in Squeeze and it
did play m4a files fine.  So you are absolutely correct on that
point. :-)

But given that mplayer would play the m4a file then hopefully the
advice I gave to use it to convert to wav and then use sox to adjust
the volume that way would still have been reasonable.  Even if I was
sloppy about the rest of the analysis.  :-) :-)

Bob