How do you approach the problem of "MaxClients reached" with apache?

Hello,

One of the most frustrating problems which can happen in apache is to
see the error:

server reached MaxClients setting

After it, the server slowly spirals down.  Sometimes it mysteriously recovers.
This is difficult to diagnose after the problem appeared and went away.

What have we for advice on :

a) diagnosis of the cause when the problem is not live
b) walling off the problem so one bad piece of code or data does not
effect all sites hosted on same server

Obviously a Virtual Machine could handle item b, but I am hoping for
something interesting on the apache side.  Obviously there is
increasing the limit, but this is typically not the solution - the real
problem for apache is bad code or data outside of what the code
can digest in a timely manner).

One tip I've seen suggested is to reduce the apache timeout from 120
seconds down to 60 seconds or so.