Re: New computer planned

On 2/20/2012 7:14 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 09:54:54PM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Lu, 20 feb 12, 10:15:13, Curt Howland wrote:
I also kept my old keyboard, since the motherboards all still have PS2
sockets for keyboards.
I have been looking only at mini-ITX motherboards lately and I seem to
recall models without PS/2, but you are probably right about full-sized
ATX boards.

I had a Dell 5150 desktop at work about 5 years ago, and it didn't have
any PS/2 ports.  So they are out there!

-Rob

Several folks have already said that running a keyboard thru an adapter to a USB port can be a problem. I second that. I have a Dell Inspiron 5400/E1505 that I have been running with an IBM model M shortened external keyboard (no numberpad) thru a PS2 to USB adapter. It runs fine once it starts, but on turn-on from cold, the USB plug must be momentarily removed and replaced in order for the computer to fully access the k/b. It will see some letters but not others. Since the k/b can be switched (some- how) to have a phantom numberpad on the right-hand letter keys, I think it comes up that way, altho the keys don't produce numbers--they produce nothing. After the plug game, the k/b works fine, and I never used a numberpad anyway--all my boards
have numbers on the top row--don't all of them?

--doug