Re: New computer planned

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 06:19, Sian Mountbatten
<poenikatu@fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> My desktop computer is nearly 7 years old and I'm thinking that a new
> computer using some of the hardware improvements would be a good thing.
>
> So I'm going to ask my friendly computer consultant, who is only downstairs
> from me, to build me a computer with hardware 3d acceleration, solid-state
> drive, 8Gb RAM.

Good. Note that it actually on the difficult side to build a desktop computer
without 3D. You would have to not use integrated graphics and find an ancient
PCI (or maybe AGP?) video card that did not have 3D. I imagine that your
current computer has 3D, though just possibly if it was crummy when you
got it, it may have only pre-GeForce non-programmable 3D.

For the SSD, check what he plans to put in there. Intel or something
with a SandForce (OCZ, et. al.) controller will bring the best performance,
though the cheaper ones will still outperform spinning disks.

Depending on how much data you have, and how much you want to
spend, a large HDD might be in order as well, since a "large" SSD is
only 128-256 GB, and is still expensive.

8 gigs has been serving me very well.

>What else should I ask for and what works with Linux? He's
> going to give me a list of the hardware he is going to install, so I can
> check Linux compatibility. Although I am not a gamer, I would like to run
> tuxracer which really needs 3d acceleration to work. Any suggestions will be
> welcome.

Any 3D chip will handle it. I am not sure where the cutoff would be, but
for sure anything from the last 5 years

If TuxRacer/PlanetPenguin and similar (and maybe composited desktop)
is really all you need from 3D, I highly recommend going with Intel integrated
graphics. Simple excellent Open Source drivers, and plenty of power for what
you are looking at. Especially if you are building a true modern system, the
Sandy Bridge graphics are quite nice (though, as always, there is something
just around the corner: Ivy bridge is coming up)

> Keyboard: for many years now, I have used a keyboard which is not
> membrane-based. It has individual key switches, is properly dished and is a
> joy to use. No keyboard click, but I don't use that anyway. The keyboard is
> connected to the PS/2 socket. Would a wireless keyboard do as good a job? I
> suppose it would probably be USB, but I shall listen to advice on that. The
> keyboard is an essential peripheral and I am willing to spend money on a
> good keyboard. Maybe I should keep the keyboard I am using. It's not overly
> clean, but I can live with it.

They are still making motherboards with PS/2 ports (well, usually just one).
USB would be as good. Wireless - aside from needing batteries replaced,
there can indeed be input lag or interference. Usually nothing major, but it
can be noticeable at times. I am not a fan, unless you are using it from a
couch to control a home theater PC or something.

> I'm not in my twenties anymore and I have no agression to work off with
> snazzy games (which probably only work on Windoze anyway).

I am leaving my 20s, but those games can be fun once in a while.
A pretty fair number of games run fine on Wine, and there are
actually a large number of FPSs that are native on Linux.

>Software
> development and software development support are my forte. Some of the
> simple games available on Linux provide sufficient entertainment for me, but
> I think that a new computer is one new year gift I could do with.

It should make some things nicer I think.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers