Re: New computer planned

Hi Sian,

Memory is cheap.  More is better as Linux uses it for disk cache
if nothing else.

There is a large difference in performance of SSDs and the score
board changes fairly quickly.  Make sure you have non-crippled
SATA 3 controller to get most out of them.

Consider some of the high-end laptops.  I have been happy with
Lenovo's T and W series.  The W520 comes with NVIDIA Quadro M1000
or M2000 cards which have 3d acceleration.  Docking stations
are convenient.

I treasure my Kineses Freestyle keyboards as they eliminated the
pain that I was starting to get.

You did not mention monitors but high definition has brought the
larger ones way down in price.  30" monitors (2560x1600) are
still in a different price league but to me it is worth it.  If
you are buying a 30" consider one with Display Ports instead of
DVI.  Lenovo's docking station for the W520, for instance, can
only do the 30" at full resolution via Display Port (this was not
an issue with earlier versions).  The are DVI to Display Port
converters but the ones I have are not 100% stable (I probably
power cycle it a couple of times per month).

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC