Re: How to share the Internet with Linux and an iPad by Wi-Fi?

On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 23:45 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 18 feb 12, 21:00:34, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi :)
> >
> > I need to share the Internet for the PC with an iPad. Linux is
connected
> > by PPPoE using eth0 to the Internet and the iPad should get access
> > the Internet by a Sempre WU300-1K USB adapter connected to the Linux
PC.

> How are you managing your internet connection on the Debian machine?
If
> it's Network Manager you can use it directly. If you are using
ifupdown
> you'll need to tinker with hostapd and IP forwarding and (optional)
some
> dhcp server (I prefer dnsmasq, because it also does DNS caching).
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

At the moment I don't have Debian installed, but I'm willing to install
it again, if it should make it easier to set up what I need. For my
Ubuntu I made the connection by pppoeconf and NetworkManager is
installed. Running # nm-applet doesn't show it in the Xfce panel's
notification area, but
running # nm-connection-editor does start a GUI.

Thank you, I'll try NetworkManager. I wasn't sure if it doesn't need
additional settings too. I'll try with Ubuntu first and if needed I'll
install Debian.

First I need to understand what I have to set. Doing this doesn't work:

Connection name: Wireless connection 1
[x] Connect automatically
Tab "Wireless"
SSID: oz
Mode: Ad-hoc
Band: Automatic
(Channel: default)
BSSID:
Device MAC address:
Cloned MAC adresse:
MTU: automatic
Tab "IPv4 Settings"
Method: Manual
Adress: 192.255.0.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 1.1.1.1
DNS servers:
Search domains:
(DHCP client ID:)
[x] Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete
Nothing edited for "Routes..."
Nothing edited for tab "IPv6 Settings"
Tab "Wireless security"
Security: WE 128-bit Passphrase
Key: 1234567890

Even a reboot won't connect WLAN. And assumed everything should be set
up correctly, there still is no password? I can't find any howto.

Regards,
Ralf