Re: How best to replace NetworkManager with wicd?

On 02/12/2012 02:44 PM, keitho@strucktower.com wrote:
Sometime back I moved one of my laptops from using Gnome to using a wm (i3
at present). I have been slowly trying to learn the various functions that
the Gnome DE does in the background (hides from the user) so that I can
replace the Gnome-related-software to software which is desktop
independent.

I'm a bit confused as to how to replace NetworkManager with wicd (using
both wired and wireless connections). After installing wicd, I thought
perhaps I could simply turn off NetworkManager, configure wicd, then when
I am satisfied everything works with wicd properly I will uninstall
NetworkManager. I am hoping that this approach won't leave me stranded
with an incomplete or non-working interface configurations.

I thought I could simply invoke

$sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop

to unload the Networkmanager daemon while playing around with configuring
wicd, but that doesn't work. I get:

$NetworkManager is already running (pid 3879)

So then I try to kill the process, but it automatically restarts in about
20-30 seconds.

So then I think maybe I should stop the networking daemon. But then, when
I restart it how do I tell the system to use wicd instead of
NetworkManager?

So I guess there's a bunch of stuff I still don't understand (duh!).

Is there a tutorial someone can point me to that would help educate me on
how best to approach this task? Or do I need to go cold-turkey and
uninstall NetworkManager before configuring wicd?

So far I am looking at:
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php and
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html

I have both NM and wicd installed. I use one or the other on 4 distributions but prefer NM.

One thing you should know is that the /etc/network/interfaces files are VERY different. I have two different interfaces files and use a bash script to choose which one to use.

<  script to select wireless interface >
#!/bin/sh
# netup

wicd()  {

# do Verizon setup
    modprobe -r rtl8187
    modprobe ath9k
    cp /etc/network/interfaces-MiFi /etc/network/interfaces
    sleep 5
    service networking restart
    sleep 5
    service network-manager stop
    wicd-curses
}

nm()  {
    modprobe -r ath9k
    modprobe rtl8187
    cp /etc/network/interfaces-wlan1 /etc/network/interfaces
    sleep 5
    service networking restart
    sleep 5
    service network-manager restart
    sleep 5
    ckif
    ifup wlan1
    echo "NM is setup."
}

task=$1

case "$task" in
    wicd)    wicd
            ;;
    nm)    nm
            ;;

    *     )     echo
                echo "*** arg ( wice | nm ) required  ***"
                ;;

esac
exit
< the NM interface file >

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# Netgear wg111v2 rtl8187 module
#
# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet dhcp
    modprobe rtl8187
        wpa-ssid Verizon MiFi2200 C4B5 Secure
        wpa-psk  your-password-goes-here

< the wicd interfaces file >

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
#  up route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev lo
#  down route del -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev lo

# ------ For Verizon MiFi Network
#          Using wicd on X
#

#  Need to correct this for NON X use

# The primary network interface
##manual eth0
##iface eth0 inet static
##    address 192.168.1.11
##    network 192.168.1.0
##    netmask 255.255.255.0
##    broadcast 192.168.1.255
#    gateway 192.168.1.11
##    dns-nameservers  66.174.95.44 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
#    dns-nameservers 209.183.33.23 209.183.35.23 192.168.1.11
##    dns-search dns-domain dns-sortlist

The EMPTY interfaces is how I, finally, got wicd to work.

I hope this helps you in getting one or both working.

Wayne