Re: Networking Q concerning /etc/network/interfaces

On Sun 12 Feb 2012 at 13:34:45 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> >
> > What explains this apparent anomaly?
>
> I can't explain why eth0 has an Ip address but it isn't "UP".

It's also bothered me as assigning an IP address automatically makes
eth0 'UP'. But then taking the interface down afterwards leaves it with
an address so only ' BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1' is shown
in the output of ifconfig.

> Is eth1 being brought up by Network Manager?

Apparently so.