Re: Networking Q concerning /etc/net

Jesse Thompson <jesset@gmail.com> writes:

> There's a lot of things which aren't clear to me. Let's recap the
> following for clarity:

Sorry for the lack of clarity... I just posted new information that
fills in most of what you requested

> You mention there are two, wired nics in your box, only one is wired
> up (I think ifconfig tells you if an interface has a layer 1 link or
> not, but I don't recall  what to look for in the output). Can you
> confirm if it's eth0 or eth1 that is the one which is supposed to be
> physically wired up?

I have now wired both up.  The one that gets the hosts 192.168.1.42
address is eth1 and is hardcoded at the lan router/dns server by MAC
to get that address.

eth0 is getting a dns served address too now.

In fact I've now created a new problem.  eth0 previously unwired has
now taken over any sort of things from the command line like pinging
other lan hosts, and since it leads to a subnet now a ping command
doesn't find the main lan.

Of course I can force ping to use eth1 with `-I' but apparently I need
to change the MAC filter in network router to grab eth0 now and give
it the [...]42 address.

Or is there some way to switch eth1 and eth0 around on the host.

Like maybe editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Or will that not persist.... I guess I'll know in a minute after a
reboot.

Oh yes, you asked about: /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf

grep '^[^#]' /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf:

option rfc3442-classless-static-routes code 121 = array of unsigned integer 8;
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
	domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,
	netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu,
	rfc3442-classless-static-routes, ntp-servers;