Re: Backup System

I have 3 computer running on Debian Squeeze. One has an unused hard
drive that I wish to use as a backup disk for all 3 computers. Is there
a simple way to do this that can be completely automated.

I've got rdiff-backup set up on one machine, and backup ninja set up on other machines that I want to back up, which I configure with a neat little tool called ninjahelper. After some digging, this turned out to be both comprehensive and simple. Things like Amanda seemed like overkill for a small installation.

Sites for the tools:
http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/
https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/show/backupninja

Debian installation is real simple:

1. on the backup machine:
apt-get install rdiff-backup

2. on the machine(s) that you want to back up:
apt-get install backupninja (and all the things it recommends, note: includes the ninjahelper config. gui tool)

Notes:
- rdiff-backup does an incremental backup, sort of like time machine on the Mac, pretty efficient in terms of storage, let's you go back in time to previous versions
- Documentation on riseup.net web site is pretty good.
- Backupninja and ninjahelper know how to do a couple of other kinds of backups as well - notably mysql, postgres, and ldap backups.

One caveat: restoring from an rdiff-backup archive is non-trivial. There seem to be some GUIs floating around that make it easy to browse archives and select file versions for backup, but I haven't played with them.

One more note: I've been using this for several years, but only had to do simple restores of the most recent copies of several files. I'm running with RAIDed disks and a high-availabilty fail-over cluster. (Fingers crossed...) The only times I've had to restore anything is when I've done something stupid and deleted files by mistake.

Hope this helps,

Miles Fidelman