Re: Backup System

On 20120204_103752, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> Reposting to the list
>
> On 04/02/12 04:35, Gary Roach wrote:
> > To your questions:
>
> <top post re-edited as interleaved style>

> >> Yes - there are a large number of ways. (as "apt-cache search
> >> backups" will show you)
> >>
> >> Is there a particular box you wish to control the backups from?
>
> > Yes there is one box that should control the backup process.
>
> >> Is it local?
>
> > All 3 computers are in the same room.
>
> >> Are you a GUI user or do you prefer the command line?
>
> > I don't care whether GUI or command line just as long as it is
> > straight forward.
>
> The "straight forward" bit will depend on how well you understand your
> requirements. :-)
>

> >> If the former - which desktop are you using?
>
> > I  use KDE.
>

> >> How often do you want to run backups? How much space do you have
> >> to store backups? How long to you intend to keep backups? How big
> >> are the backups you plan on making?
> >>

> > I want to backup every day. I would prefer incremental backups with
> > a full backup say 1 per month. A full backup will probably take no
> > more than 5% of  the hard drive space. I would prefer that the full
> > backup over write or erase the older backups.
> > Good questions
>
> I missed (at least) one.... so I'll answer it myself ;-p
>
> If one of those boxen is a database server use LVM snapshots not
> selective rsync.
>

> > Gary
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >>

> NOTES: "full backup" is this instance means everything required to
> restore from bare metal (as opposed to "full data backup"). The

I have tried, in the past to have full backup as defined here. But it
didn't work for me. I've found that for a Debian system as used by me.
a list of installed Debian packages is more workable than a full copy
of /bin, /sbin, /boot, portions of /var, and so forth. It IS useful
the have a full copy of /etc, /home, and /root (because I keep
personal stuff about sysadmin there). In practice, when I had a
serious system malfunction, I did feel sure of my system again until I
had done a full, fresh install. And policy is that all config files
are in /etc, not in /var or other strange places.

YMMV