Re: Custom Kernel Networking support

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 12:05:41 -0500, A E [Gmail] wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 11:12:35 -0500, A E [Gmail] wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>>
>> Hi, please, no html :-(
>
> Ok, never heard of that one before, but I have removed Rich-Text
> composing option.

Much better, thanks.

>> Just configure the network as usual. The error can come from another
>> different source. Also, check "dmesg|grep -i eth".
>>

> I don't see anything in particular that gives me any hint as to what
> went wrong in dmesg other than it didn't come up. This is what I see
>
> root@v100:/usr/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32# dmesg | egrep -i 'eth|bond'

(...)

Bonding? I would first try to setup the ethernet cards separately and
once you have checked they're working okay with no errors, proceed with
bonding.

>> When compiling my own kernels, I use "make localmodconfig" to avoid
>> forgetting modules which are being used/loaded.
>>

> Ok, Thanks for this tip. I followed this with the system running
> normally as I want. But whenever I make this 1 change in the Kernel
> config, it stops the networking from working. The change I'm trying to
> make is change the 'Timer Frequency' of the kernel from 250Hz to 1000hz.

I neither have it enabled:

sm01@stt008:~$ grep -i CONFIG_HZ_1000 /boot/config-*
# CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set

OTOH, I've always thought that lower values for timer frequencies are
better for servers... Anyway, do the cards came up when no bonding is set
or it fails in the same way?

> If I do that and save the configuration without ANY other change and
> then compare the .config.old and .config, I see a whole bunch of other
> stuff changed with respect to audio/sound and what not. Then when I
> build the kernel, the networking/bonding all fails to start. Here's the
> diff between the two files.

(...)

> Can anyone see what is making it fail? Note, I have ONLY changed the
> Timer Frequency and nothing else

Nope, sorry, I can't decipher what can be wrong. But sometimes you need
to use the menuconfig instead manually making the changes because some
kernel menus/options require another modules to be enabled.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón