Re: xserver-xorg vs. xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 12:57 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> openSUSE

I started using Linux with Suse 9.0 and even today I've got an outdated
11.2 install. Suse supports settings for exotic German monitors, that
are unsupported by the X "calculators" in the Internet.

I agree that it was easier to set up X in the old days, than it is today
and I confirm that using the proprietary driver, if possible, is the
best way to go. If the proprietary driver doesn't work, e.g. because of
issues related to a kernel-rt, than I use the nv driver, that btw. was
dropped for Debian when I used Debian some month ago. On Arch Linux the
nv driver still is in the official repositories.

- Ralf