Re: Bug reporting

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 13:38:37 -0800
Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:

> I've been using Debian for years and still can't seem to submit a bug
> report successfully.  One of the main problems is that I have no mail
> server active on my system. I use Icedove. I have tried to setup exim
> several times and have always given up in disgust. The instructions for
> reporting by normal email are way to complicated for easy understanding.
> The examples given include copies of the world. I need something
> straight forward and relatively simple. Any help will be sincerely
> appreciated.

Setting up reportbug to do its own SMTP is really not all that hard;
my .reportbugrc (in $HOME) contains the following lines, for using
Gmail's SMTP server:

email "celejar@gmail.com"
realname "Celejar"
smtphost smtp.gmail.com:587
smtpuser "celejar@gmail.com"
smtppasswd xxxxxxxx
smtptls

That should be pretty much all you'll need. You won't be using Icedove,
but reportbug itself (although the actual message composition can be in
your editor of choice).

Celejar