Re: Two CD-DVD writers and Debian Lenny

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 16:40:11 +0100, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> I'm using Debian Lenny,

Long life to Lenny... though its support ends in a few days :-P

> and have three (physical) CD-DVD readers, from which two are (physical)
> CD-DVD writers. When burning a CD or DVD, even at very low speed (1x),
> one always works, and the other always fails, giving a CD/DVD that can
> then be thrown. I checked under the BIOS and there is no reason for the
> second writer not to work.

It can be just the drive went bad :-?

> 1) Are there any burning-simulating utilities running under Debian
> Lenny?

Burning applications usually provide such option. In gnomebaker is called
"dummy write" or something like that. Command line tools (wodim) do also
have it. Using wodim will also give you more information about the
burning error because messages will be output to the terminal.

> 2) How could I solve this problem?

I would run more tests. Can the drive read CD/DVDs just fine? It fails
for every kind media (CR-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW...) and
brands?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón