Re: Wireless connection not working

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:41:23 -0430, Gustavo J Mata wrote:

> On 1/31/12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:47:30 -0430, Gustavo J Mata wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,  I have installed Debian 6.03 in a Dell Inspiron 700m. My wireless
>>> connection is not working.
>>>
>>> I'm using the WCID network manager under the LXDE desktop manager. (I
>>> have 500 Mb of memory and 5.5 GB o disk space).
>>>
>>> My Linksys router is configured to use WAP 2 Personal security.
>>>
>>> Any hints?
>>
>> Yes... what kind of wireless adapter does your computer use? Maybe you
>> need to install a closed firmware to get the card working :-?
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

> This is the info for the card:
>
> Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2]
> Network Connection (rev 05)
>
> I installed the ipw2200 driver.

You still need to install the firmware for that card:

http://wiki.debian.org/ipw2200

Then proceed with configuration that will vary depending on the wifi
manager you're using:

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

And the most important thing: read the logs ("/var/log/syslog") and use
the available command line tools (iw, iwlist, etc...) to check for basic
connectivity with the AP.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón