Re: only console login after latest sid upgrade

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 14:31:21 -0600
Seb <spluque@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I upgraded my sid system on my desktop and laptop this morning and
> restarted only to find out I get straight into a console login, not
> the usual KDM login window.  The upgraded included the latest kernel
> image package (3.2.0) and thought that might be the culprit so
> installed the previous version (3.1.0) and restarted but ran into the
> same problem. Is anyone else experiencing this?

After some years I have settled on upgrading sid using aptitude
safe-upgrade. It will indicate the packages with problems, if there are
any, or if any have been held back, in which case a full-upgrade is
required. If not, job done at maximum speed. If there is trouble, and
there has been for most of the last month on my system, I switch to
Synaptic, where I find it easier to select what to upgrade and what to
leave.

Occasionally, a logjam can be fixed by upgrading things in the right
order, so sometimes a situation where aptitude full-upgrade will only
offer to remove half your system can be resolved by repeatedly using
Synaptic to pick sets of packages to upgrade. You can, of course, do
this with aptitude but with a great deal more typing.

--
Joe