Re: Recent Debian Preseed Error: "Logical Volume Manager not available"

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Chris Hiestand wrote:
> > I've had a stable, working, preseed configuration with no changes
> > other than downloading the latest stable debian releases (netboot
> > images). Suddenly partman has stopped working in my preseed:
> > > !! ERROR: Logical Volume Manager not available
> > >
> > > The current kernel doesn't support the Logical Volume Manager. You
> > > may need to load the lvm-mod module.

And my problem:
  No disk drive was detected.  If you know the name of the driver
  needed by your disk drive, you can select it from the list.

These problems are due to the mismatch between the new udeb files in
the 6.0.4 point release and the previous 6.0.3 netboot files on my
(and your) server.  The netboot files needed to be updated.  Updating
them solved my problem.  And now that I have the solution I remember
having hit this before with a previous point release some time ago.

Here is a quick set of steps to jog the memory of what is needed to
update tftp directories.  I saved a backup of the previous files.
Then downloaded the two architectures I care about here.

  wget -O netboot-6.0.4-amd64.tar.gz http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz

  wget -O netboot-6.0.4-i386.tar.gz http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz

  tar xzf netboot-6.0.4-amd64.tar.gz  # debian-installer/amd64/*
  tar xzf netboot-6.0.4-i386.tar.gz   # debian-installer/i386/*

Then updated my tftp pxe boot directory with the new versions of those
files.

Bob