Re: Converting to btrfs

On 30/01/12 13:02, Christian Dysthe wrote:
On 01/30/12 at 06:52am, Alan Chandler wrote:
On 29/01/12 18:21, Christian Dysthe wrote:
Hi,

I have an older laptop running Sid I like to play around with. I would
like to check out the new btrfs file system and know you can easily convert
>from  ext4 to btrfs. The disk is partitioned with a small /boot partition, a
10 gb / partition and a /home parirtion taking the rest of the disk (except
for swap). As long as I keep the /boot parition ext4 do I have to do more
than point to the new UUIDs in fstab after conversion and update grub?

Its been a while since I made myself a setup like this - but I think
you will also have to ensure that initramfs has the bttrfs driver in
it.
That means I need a kernel with btrfs support and then do an
'update-initramfs' also?

The standard debian kernels have btrfs modules with them. What you need to do is ensure they are loaded before accessing the root filesystem. That is where initramfs comes in.

I'm afraid I don't know the details. It was about 6 months ago I played with this - and came to the conclusion I wouldn't do it for real and am now happily using ext4 for everything except my offsite backups - where btrfs is the mechanism I use.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk