Re: how to get rid of pulseaudio gracefully

* Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> schrieb:

> I want to get rid of pulseaudio.  I almost never even use sound in
> linux and I see it always chugging away at 5-8 % cpu.  That seems a
> bit extreme some how.

Can you measure how much load pulseaudio itself does ?
(in idle vs. active).

I'm really curious about those numbers.

Actually, I *personally* would prefer if all applications that wanna
do some audio IO use such an audio server, instead of ever trying
to access the devices directly - if there's no audio server running,
simply no audio IO is done. At least speaking of typical desktop
and server systems (embedded world is quite different, yes).

In this context, I'd appreciate some simple platform agnostig audio
IO interface library, which the vast majority of applications can use,
without ever having to care about the actually used sound system.
This library can could exist in different variants for the platform-
specific audio systems.

> Things like uninstalling gnome-core.  Isn't that a bit dramatic just
> to get rid of pulseaudio?
>
>   Remove the following packages
>   1)     gnome-accessibility
>   2)     gnome-core
>   3)     libcanberra-pulse
>   4)     pulseaudio-esound-compat
>   5)     pulseaudio-module-x11
>   6)     task-gnome-desktop

hmm, maybe it's just a matter of too large packages and dependencies ?

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666