Re: Plymouth only displays text bar (HowTo configure Plymouth for Proprietary NVidia)

On 27/01/12 23:08, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm playing with plymouth. I had no problems configuring it on my laptop
> but I have a htpc where I wanted to set the xbmc-logo plymouth theme.
> Unfortunately it only shows the white blue progress bar from the text
> plymouth theme.
>
> I use Debian Squeeze on both of them. On the htpc it's the 64 bit kernel
> (2.6.32-5-amd64). (I wanted to use the newest backport kernel but it made
> the installtion of the nvidia drivers much more work so I sticked with
> the original one.)
>
> I followed the Plymouth Debian Wiki page:
> http://wiki.debian.org/plymouth
>
> I have a GeForce 9400 GT and use the nvidia drivers.
<snipped>

That's ^ probably the problem.

If you're using the proprietary NVidia drivers you don't have KMS and
need to do the following:-

NOTE: not tested on 3.x kernels

# apt-get install v86d
# modprobe uvesafb
# cat /sys/bus/platform/drivers/uvesafb/uvesafb.0/vbe_modes | sort
1024x768-16, 0x0117
1024x768-32, 0x0118
1024x768-8, 0x0105
1280x1024-16, 0x011a
1280x1024-8, 0x0107
1600x1200-16, 0x0146
1600x1200-8, 0x0145
320x200-16, 0x010e
320x200-32, 0x010f
320x200-8, 0x0130
320x240-16, 0x0135
320x240-32, 0x0136
320x240-8, 0x0134
320x400-16, 0x0132
320x400-32, 0x0133
320x400-8, 0x0131
640x400-16, 0x013d
640x400-32, 0x013e
640x400-8, 0x0100
640x480-16, 0x0111
640x480-32, 0x0112
640x480-8, 0x0101
800x600-16, 0x0114
800x600-32, 0x0115
800x600-8, 0x0103

Pick a mode from the output and add to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
in /etc/default/grub

eg:-
nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=1024x768-32,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap

Then add the same resolution to GRUB_GFXMODE

(I posted an example to http://paste.debian.net/153840/)

Now edit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules to reflect your *chosen* resolution.
eg.:-
# echo "uvesafb mode_option=1024x768-32 mtrr=3 scroll=ywrap" >>
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules

Then apply those changes:-

# echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
# update-initramfs -u
# update-grub

You should now have a longer boot time to look at a purdy picture.

<snipped>

> Best regards
> Ramon

Cheers

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/