Re: NIC transferring twice its max rate

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 12:03:49PM -0500, Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2012-01-25 09:39:40, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I've got an onboard NIC, supposedly 100Mb.  I've been doing a dd over
> > ssh for the last hour, and iftop tells me that I'm transmitting at a
> > steady 186Mb, while receiving about 1.2Mb.
>
> Perhaps you have compression enabled for ssh?

Perhaps, but I think iftop should tell me how much data was sent over
the NIC, regardless of what that data might look like uncompressed.

Anyway, I started iftop partway through my transfer, and it reports that
I transferred a total of 244GB.  But I know based on the filesize (a
disk image file) that I only transferred 160GB.

I guess I'll report it as a bug.

-Rob