Re: Dell Inspiron N5010 laptop overheating on Debian 6.0.1, Linux 3.2.3, low CPU usage, radeon GPU driver

On 01/22/2012 01:25 PM, M Stefan wrote:
Hello,

I have been struggling with my overheating laptop issue for a while,
and I can't seem to fix it on Debian. My laptop does not overheat on
Windows, so this is not a hardware issue. After checking my driver
support on http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/index.rhtml, I have noticed
that my then-version of kernel (2.6.32) did not support all of the
hardware, so I installed 3.0.3. All my hardware seems to now be fully supported,
and I have all the kernel modules that should be needed for the
fans to work properly:
-> acpi-cpufreq (ondemand), which claims that most of the time
my CPU runs at low frequency:
  cpufreq stats: 2.40 GHz:4.11%, 2.39 GHz:0.02%, 2.26 GHz:0.08%,
 2.13 GHz:0.05%, 2.00 GHz:0.08%, 1.86 GHz:0.05%, 1.73 GHz:0.05%,
1.60 GHz:0.13%, 1.46 GHz:0.42%, 1.20 GHz:95.01%  (5730)
-> i8k (I've installed i8kutils, a tool for Dell Inspiron which allows me to
manually configure the fans)
-> thermal, dell_laptop
-> intel_ips (apparently needed by my laptop's "5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem")
-> radeon (the free GPU driver; my video card is a HD 5470)
I can only think of two causes of my problem. The first one is that
not all of the fans are running (although they are making a bit of a
noise, and I can turn them off in i8kutils and notice that they are
making no more noise). Maybe there are more fans, and i8kutils
only controls some?
The second possible cause would be the GPU driver. I have read
somewhere that radeon's free driver could have some problems
that would lead to overheating. I have tried fglrx for my 64bit
system, but I can't seem to be able to get it to work. The screen
would just start flickering with the only choice being to reboot.
However, at some point, I was in the single-user console and
it *appeared* that the laptop overheats the same way, which
would probably mean that its not radeon's fault (I'm not sure,
if it really was overheating I can double-check if you consider it relevant).

The tool I'm using for reading the temperature is lm-sensors,
and the output looks like this:
root ~ # sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +69.5°C  (crit = +102.0°C)

i8k-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
Right Fan:   151200 RPM
CPU:          +69.0°C

When idling, the temperature stays at around 70C, but as soon
as I'm doing some work, it goes to 80C and above.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to diagnose my
problem. Let me know if any additional informat ion is needed.

Yours,
 Stefan
This may also be an issue with i8kutils, which does not appear to
have proper support for N5010. It controls the two fans by taking
as input two 0-2 values (0=off,1=low,2=high) and its initial configuration
is (-1,2), which can be changed to (2,2) but it does not seem to show any
improvement. Still can't think of a way to diagnose the problem.

Yours,
  Stefan