Re: how to download the packages in Debian testing non-free before installing?

On 2012-01-18 23:03 +0100, lee wrote:

> Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2012-01-18 20:58 +0100, lee wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> how do I download the packages in the non-free section and make them
>>> useable by the Debian installer before starting the installation?
>>
>> Download any needed packages on another computer and put them on a USB
>> stick that you plug in when you install Debian.  See
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s04.html.
>
> Unfortunately, I don´t have another computer available, and the laptop
> is setup so badly from factory with Windoze that I will have to remove
> Windoze completely because I can´t shrink the partition to a reasonable
> size. And they didn´t deliver any installation media with it :((
>
> If the installation fails, I will have to restore the laptop from the
> backups I made on DVDs, download whatever I need and start over again.
> So I want to make sure the installation doesn´t fail before I start.
>
>>> The problem is installing Debian on a laptop with wireless only. So I
>>> need to dowload all the DVDs before starting the installation,
>>
>> No, you don't.  The first DVD (or CD) should be sufficient.
>
> Will I be able to get the wireless working with the first DVD before
> making any changes to the hard disks?

If you want to get it working during installation, you have to provide
the firmware, e.g. on a USB stick.  And if you need WPA/WPA2 support,
you need a recent version of the Debian installer.

> Hm, what´s the point in having the firmware only and not the software to
> get the wireless card to work? Apparently, I need software from the
> non-free section which isn´t included on the DVDs, so having the
> firmware only get´s me no more than like half the way.

No, what makes you think so?  There should be a driver for your card in
the kernel, unless the device is too new.  And it's only the firmware
which is not free.

>> The Squeeze installer itself does not support WPA, but the Wheezy
>> installer does.
>
> Wheezy is Testing, afair? I want to install Testing anyway: Will that
> work with the D/I from testing when I have the firmware ready,

Probably, although you may run into other bugs.

> or will
> there still be software (from non-free) missing needed to make a
> wireless connection?

I don't think Debian even ships any software related to wireless in
non-free, except for firmware.

Sven