Re: ntp daemon.

On 01/18/2012 10:38 AM, Rob Owens wrote:
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:22:57PM -0500, Joey L wrote:
I have installed ntp server on my debian box.
I am trying to sync with a public external time server.
I have found a couple on the internet - but none seem to want to sync
with me or my ntp daemon does not want to do it.

I have entered the following in my /etc/ntp.conf file:

server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
server 3.us.pool.ntp.org

I ran ntpdate and I get this error message -
18 Jan 12:43:23 ntpdate[26430]: no servers can be used, exiting

ntpdate should not / cannot be used while ntpd is running.  Make sure
that ntpd is running and then run:

ntpq -p

That'll show you what ntp servers you are communicating with.

You do not need to open any inbound ports on your firewall in order for
ntpd to run.  Also, the default debian ntp.conf file works if you are
just trying to keep your own time accurate, and not trying to act as an
ntp server for other machines.

-Rob

make sure you have udp on port 23 open for inbound and outbound on iptables.

You can run ntpdate -u YOURTIMESERVEROFCHOICE
Or you could also run ntpd -qg
Or if your ntpd is already running stop it then try again and if all works verify your settings in the conf file. Reboot try one last time and should be squared away.

Also if you want sysclock and hwclock to match make sure your hwclock is set to UTC or localtime depending on your config. Then if hwclock is still off run hwclock --systohc