Re: grub-pc mdadm root

Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Marc Auslander <marcausl@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm still having no luck booting an mdadm 1.2 root.
>>
>> grub2 works - I get into the boot kernel and initram.  But when it
>> comes to mount the real kernel, I fall into initramfs shell with a
>> message that the kernel can't be found.  And it can't, because the
>> raid root device hasn't been assembled.  (No raid devices exist in
>> /dev).
>>
>> I can assemble it in initramfs shell using mdadm, so all the stuff is there.
>>
>> So I really need to see any grub.cfg stanza that actually works -
>> mostly to see what vmlinuz parameters are needed.
>
> It think that it's your initrd that needs some attention...
>
> Anyway, from a wheezy install:

Thanks for the help.

That's essentially what my grub stanza does.  I've run
update-initramfs.  So I don't know what "attention" my initrd needs at
this point.

As I reported - all the code and mdadm.conf are in it.  In the initrd
shell, if I assemble my root raid disk and exit, the boot completes
normally.

This is squeeze - is it possible that the newer kernel has code to
assemble early?

Is there some other "option" or setting which causes it to assemble early?

Also, are you using md version 1.2 raid.