Re: booting Debian-6 in run level 3

On 2012-01-13, Bijoy Lobo <bijoy.lobo@paladion.net> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I have read online that Debian Squeeze has no differentiation in runlevels
> from 2-5, although I would like to boot my debian box in CLI mode. Any way
> I can achieve this?

For me the easiest way to boot into the cli is to either disable or
remove your display manager.

For gdm3, for instance, you could disable that puppy:

update-rc.d -f gdm3 remove

Next reboot you'll be in the console (I believe).

Then you can

to start X.  That's the way I lived for many years.

Or you can:

service gdm3 start

if you want your display manager back for your X session.

You can always bring gdm3 back from the dead:

update-rc.d gdm3 defaults

I think that's the way it works, anyway.  Feels cludgy, but some of the other
"solutions" feel cludgy too.