Re: virtual interfaces not routing properly.

Hello,

Bob Proulx a écrit :

> Instead I prefer setting up the dependent aliased virtual interfaces

Please don't call ethX:Y virtual interfaces. They are not interfaces.
Only ifconfig artificially treats them as interfaces. They cannot be
used as interfaces by other tools nor by the kernel.

> This method is documented here among other places.  Look at the very
> bottom of the page under "Multiple IP addresses on One Interface".
>
>   http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
>
> You might want to try this configuration instead.
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 10.25.48.140
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         gateway 10.25.48.254
> 	up   ip addr add 10.25.48.141/24 dev eth0 label eth0:0
> 	down ip addr del 10.25.48.141/24 dev eth0 label eth0:0

That sucks big time. Don't tell me it is the new official way to replace
aliases. This is just an ugly hack to work around ifupdown's lack of
ability to assign more than one addresse to an interface. IMHO it would
be much better to upgrade ifupdown, for example by allowing the
'address' option to contain several address/prefixlength values, or
multiple 'address' options.