Re: Message about ntp when updating

Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> I see this message when running an update:
>
> Installing new version of config file /etc/cron.daily/ntp ...
> insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `ntp'
> overwrites defaults (empty).

That is a minor upgrade bug in the ntp package.  You had a previous
version of it (Lenny) installed and have since upgraded to a newer
version (Squeeze).  The older version included shutdown links so that
ntp would be stopped on shutdown.  The new package does not include
those links anymore.  But because they were there in /etc/ they are
accidentally preserved after the upgrade when they should have been
transitioned when the package was upgraded.

For reasons that I haven't been following there has been a push to
remove those shutdown links generally from everything.  I don't know
why.  Perhaps someone else will comment on why.  Removing those links
seems like it breaks going to single user mode directly from multiuser
mode but I only go to single user mode from a reboot anyway so I guess
that is okay.  I am sure the reasoning is that the reboot or halt will
kill everything no matter what so might as well get to it as quickly
as possible.  On a server machine this wouldn't ever be an issue but
waiting for a laptop to shutdown could be annoying.

The Lenny version had declared:

  # Default-Start:   2 3 4 5
  # Default-Stop:    0 1 6

And with links created with:

  update-rc.d ntp defaults 23

The Squeeze version has declared:

  # Default-Start:   2 3 4 5
  # Default-Stop:

And with links created with:

  update-rc.d ntp start 23 2 3 4 5 .

But also remember that Squeeze will use 'insserv' to set up dependency
based boot symlinks if possible, ignoring the "start 23 2 3 4 5 ."
part of the above but using the Default-Start/Default-Stop headers
instead.  In the newer package there are no Default-Stop runlevels
declared.

Since the previous version had created kill symlinks to take action at
shutdown they were left behind.  The package upgrade runs the
update-rc.d line to set up symlinks and it is producing the message.
You can safely try this to see the message in detail:

  # update-rc.d ntp start 23 2 3 4 5 .
  update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
  insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `ntp'
  overwrites defaults (empty).

That is the type of error that we are going to see a lot of for
several different packages as the push to remove shutdown links
continues and doesn't clean up after itself.

> Should I be concerned about it?  And, if so, what am I supposed to do
> to correct it.

It is okay to ignore since the issue is for the most part cosmetic.
However you might as well clean it up so that it the error message
goes away and doesn't obscure a real error message.

Find them with:

  $ find /etc/rc?.d -name 'K*ntp*'
  /etc/rc0.d/K02ntp
  /etc/rc1.d/K02ntp
  /etc/rc6.d/K02ntp

Clean them up by removing those files.  If you just ran find and are
happy with the files listed then you can add -delete to the find
command and it will delete them.

  # find /etc/rc?.d -name 'K*ntp*' -delete

Or remove them with an explicit command.

  # rm -f /etc/rc0.d/K02ntp /etc/rc1.d/K02ntp /etc/rc6.d/K02ntp

And then the update-rc.d from the upgrade script will run cleanly
without emitting that message.

  # update-rc.d ntp start 23 2 3 4 5 .
  update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing

Bob