Re: Xfce steals keyboard shortcuts?

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 07:56:55AM -0500, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
> On 01/08/2012 07:54 PM, Freeman wrote:
> >>>

> >> (Starting the bottom post protocol used here.)
> >>
> >> That was helpful but I still haven't ever found, got working or successfully
> >> entered under Xfce4 the <Control>space shortcut that is used by kupfer out
> >> of the box in Gnome and Openbox.  Although I do have <Super>space working
> >> for gmrun.  For that matter, I have never succeeded in getting any
> >> <Control>xyz shortcut working under Xfce4.
> >>

> > In case I am not the only person who didn't know this, I recently discovered
> > that the fxce4 term for the ctrl key is "Primary" .
> >
> To quote a little note that showed up in the aptitude scroll during
> installation of the latest libxfce4gui library to make its way into
> Wheezy on my systems:
>
> -----------------------------8<-----------------------------
>
> libxfce4ui (4.8.0-4) unstable; urgency=low
>   Starting Gtk+ 2.24.7, the Control key often found on PC keyboards isn't
>   called 'Control' but 'Primary', breaking configured keyboard shortcuts
>   already set. If you experience this in Xfce (application not starting and
>   keyboard shortcut using Control key), just re-bind the various
>   shortcuts using the same keys combination. The shortcut will be
> replaced by
>   the 'Primary' version and will work correctly.
>  -- Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org>  Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:10:00 +0100
>
> -----------------------------8<-----------------------------
>
> All I needed to do to restore my keyboard shortcuts that used the <Ctrl>
> key was to delete those shortcuts, and then re-create them. When you do
> this you'll see that the left <Ctrl> key will be called <Primary>.

Right, the nifty Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts utility.

However, I've noticed that Primary shortcut in Xfce4 are interfering with
some <Ctrl> shortcuts in mutt, even when the mutt window is not active.
This didn't with the same <Ctrl> shortcuts in Gnome because I wouldn't have
been able to use mutt effectively.

So Xfce4 is not respecting the window for Primary shortcuts or something is
different.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody