Re: Xfce steals keyboard shortcuts?

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 07:56:55AM -0500, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
> On 01/08/2012 07:54 PM, Freeman wrote:
> >>>

> >> (Starting the bottom post protocol used here.)
> >>
> >> That was helpful but I still haven't ever found, got working or successfully
> >> entered under Xfce4 the <Control>space shortcut that is used by kupfer out
> >> of the box in Gnome and Openbox.  Although I do have <Super>space working
> >> for gmrun.  For that matter, I have never succeeded in getting any
> >> <Control>xyz shortcut working under Xfce4.
> >>

> > In case I am not the only person who didn't know this, I recently discovered
> > that the fxce4 term for the ctrl key is "Primary" .
> >
> To quote a little note that showed up in the aptitude scroll during
> installation of the latest libxfce4gui library to make its way into
> Wheezy on my systems:
> -----------------------------8<-----------------------------
> libxfce4ui (4.8.0-4) unstable; urgency=low
>   Starting Gtk+ 2.24.7, the Control key often found on PC keyboards isn't
>   called 'Control' but 'Primary', breaking configured keyboard shortcuts
>   already set. If you experience this in Xfce (application not starting and
>   keyboard shortcut using Control key), just re-bind the various
>   shortcuts using the same keys combination. The shortcut will be
> replaced by
>   the 'Primary' version and will work correctly.
>  -- Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org>  Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:10:00 +0100
> -----------------------------8<-----------------------------
> All I needed to do to restore my keyboard shortcuts that used the <Ctrl>
> key was to delete those shortcuts, and then re-create them. When you do
> this you'll see that the left <Ctrl> key will be called <Primary>.

Right, the nifty Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts utility.

However, I've noticed that Primary shortcut in Xfce4 are interfering with
some <Ctrl> shortcuts in mutt, even when the mutt window is not active.
This didn't with the same <Ctrl> shortcuts in Gnome because I wouldn't have
been able to use mutt effectively.

So Xfce4 is not respecting the window for Primary shortcuts or something is

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody