Re: apache vhost: remote document root

Victor Nitu:

> The problem seems to be quite simple: from my point of view, it's as
> easy as declaring a remote document root for my vhost, but I don't know
> if there exists such feature in apache web server.

The DocumentRoot only works with filesystems mounted on the same system
Apache is running on.

> The setup:
>
>              [system1]   [system2]
> INTERNET   - [    NAT]   [       ]
> via PPPoE    [gateway] - [ client]
>              =domain1=   =domain2=
>
> - - system1 is connected directly to internet via PPPoE, and is acting
> like a gateway, with NAT enabled and other network services running
> - - I have two domain names (domain1,domain2), both operated by
> freedns.afraid.org service which allows me to reach my machines from
> the web. Update is done on ifup by inadyn on both systems
> - - there I have system2 in my LAN, who needs to be accessed from
> exterior via domain2, but the request reaches my system1 first, and I
> need to redirect somehow the traffic to domain2

I am not sure I understand what you want to achieve, but I think what
you need is to setup a reverse proxy on system1:

# a2enmod proxy_http

<Virtualhost *:80>
    ServerName domain2
    ProxyRequests Off
    ProxyPass / http://system2/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://system2/
    ProxyPreserveHost On
</VirtualHost>

Of course, system2 needs to run Apache as well.

J.
--
It is not in my power to change anything.
[Agree]   [Disagree]