Re: lenny hosting wheezy chroot

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 11:15:29PM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I am looking for advice on how to run a wheezy chroot from a lenny host,
> in particular how to handle dev, udev, and X.
>
> BACKGROUND
>
> My system is running lenny and I wanted to use python 2.7.  I upgraded
> debootstrap from backports and then created a wheezy (actually,
> "testing") chroot with --variant=minbase.  After some rough  spots (I
> needed to bind mount sys and proc, and eventually /dev/pts, and install
> a package so debconf could ask questions during the install) thing seem
> to be running.
>
> Now I want to try mythtv in the chroot, which requires X, which I
> believe requires /dev to be hooked up properly.  The Debian Reference
> for lenny provides some instructions about setting up using a different
> virtual terminal

Yes since it worked on earlier days, I wrote it.  Maybe, by lenny it may
have been outdated content.

> (the current version does not:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch09.en.html#_chroot_system. The lenny reference suggests running MAKEDEV.  Most other sources suggest mount -bind is the way to go, but some people caution this can lead to trouble (and there were some Debian bugs (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=623060_ in this scenario).

Anyway, some X start up codes and other packages had major changes which
made it imossible for me to do this.  I then said, heck .. too much
troble.  it is much easier using kvm or other newer technology.

In order to avoid false expectation, I removed such contents.

So I do not bother using chroot for X application any more.

Please note we DD always use chroot for building pakcages.  so chroot
with bind mounting devices are valid for many situation.

> FYI I have a single core P4 without hardware virtualization.  This is
> one reason I'm trying a chroot and not a VM.

virtualbox is likely good choice.

> I also thought a chroot would be simpler :)

If it works :-)

> I am not especially concerned about chroot
> security, except in the sense that I don't want to inadvertently mess up
> the host from inside the chroot.

You can read through scripts such as pbuilder and schroot to see how
people handle some issues.  But they usually do not do X.

I think use of or making your own backported package is the way to use
such old box semi-stably.

Osamu