Re: [OT] help with m-audio usb Fast Track pro on debian

On 03/01/12 09:37, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 03/01/12 01:39, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>> Running Wheezy

<snipped>

Your problem is two-fold:-

Your system didn't automagically pick up a second sound device made by a
Linux-unfriendly company.

Both the kernel and alsa need patching to get decent usage from the
(excellent) device.

Declaring that you don't want to be told to look it up yourself
presupposes that someone has the answer memorized, and that the online
answer is difficult to find - neither of which assumptions does
"reader"/you any justice.

Supplying "wheezy" as a basis for people to help you solve an audio
problem doesn't do you justice either (or have you forgotten everything
Gentoo?).

>> http://www.google.com/search?q=m-audio+USB+Fast+Track+Pro+Debian
>
> Gack... I looked in vain for anything like `^^^^^' anywhere in the
> post, and also for anything useful at the url.

^ is an arrow pointing at the line above.
The url gives a list of search results - the second of which is this:-
http://joegiampaoli.blogspot.com/2011/06/m-audio-fast-track-pro-for-debian-linux.html

Which would seem to be exactly what you're after for the somewhat
difficult process of doing the device justice.

<snipped>

It's a fine device - a pox on whoever failed to tell you it was very
poorly supported on Linux[*1] - I eagerly await the release of an USB2
or 3 version of the product.

Cheers

[*1] and may the shareholders rise up and slow barbecue the people who
made the decision to not release a Linux driver or provide access to the
necessary information.