Re: [OT] Rosetta Stone language program on Linux?

On 01/01/12 10:21, Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 31 December 2011 23:12:03 Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 01/01/12 07:16, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with a Rosetta Stone
>>> language program on a Linux box, either the web-based or the DVD
>>> program.  I want to (re)learn French, and most reviews suggest that
>>> Rosetta Stone is the best.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Patrick
>>
>> Have you even tried the Google thingie?:-
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=rosetta+stone+linux
>>
>> The company that sells the product says it only runs on Windoof - so
>> that leaves WINE. Rather than treat you as a total vegetable I'll let
>> you look that up yourself:-
>> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1867
>>
>> Hint: Corkscrew
>>

>> Happy New Year, and good luck with studying
>>
>> --
>> Iceweasel/Firefox extensions for finding answers to Debian questions:-
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/Scott_Ferguson/debian/
>
> I think that you may have misunderstood Patrick, and be doing him an
> injustice.  I think he was asking about people's experience of Rosetta Stone,
> not asking people to tell him how to find it.

Google for "linux rosetta stone" and you get 283000+ results.

> I too would be interested to know how people have liked it - is it good, OK,
> effective, useless, etc.?

I would hope the first thing you would do is a quick search to see if
it's supported before asking if it's worth running. I strongly
suspect/hope you'd also (if you didn't already speak French) try and
find a Linux equivalent.

> Lisi

According to the WINE database - the latest version is rated "garbage".

If you want a review - I looked at an earlier version being used by a
relative and agreed with her that it was not very good (very
repetitive). Heavily advertised and expensive, and no where near as user
friendly or useful as the free BBC program.

Is that relevant given that a cursory search shows that the latest
version will not run under WINE.

Happy New Year