Re: No cdrom device

On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:37:15 PM Bill Marcum wrote:
> In gmane.linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> > lshw output in my case has no *cdrom entry at all.  I rebooted, opened
> > the tray manually, inserted a Knoppix disk and set the BIOS to boot off
> > the cdrom drive.  No luck - booted from the hard drive.
>
> That sounds like a hardware problem with the cdrom drive.

No, it wasn't a hardware problem.  After much travail with udev, modprobe,
interrupts, etc. and leariing more about dmesg output than I care to know, I
thought - well, no sr0?  Then make one!

touch /dev/sr0
chown root:disk /dev/sr0
chmod 660 /dev/sr0

And that was that.  Sometimes the simplest, most obvious solution is the one
that eludes us the most.