Re: how to do something automatically at boot?

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:51:57 -0900, Britton Kerin wrote:

> If I understand right you make a script like this one:
>
>   rhino:/etc/init.d# cat /etc/init.d/weird-at

(...)

Wouldn't be easier to schedule a new cron task that is run on every boot
(that is, @reboot)?

> Is there something I'm missing in this process?  Is there somewhere
> particular to look for diagnostic output for things that are supposed to
> be done on boot?

I would start by reading the docs:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s-sysvinit

Also, look at the man pages of "update-rc.d" and "insserv".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón