Re: Find which package has installed some file under /etc

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Sometimes I see people file bugs to the BTS against a package asking
> > for the package to provide a /etc/default/ file as part of the
> > package.  When I see those I usually counter with a request that it
> > not be made part of the package.  If the file is part of a package
> > there there will always need to be handling of modifications to it.
>
> But if they are not part of the package, how can clashes between
> packages (e.g. 2 packages using the same name for the /etc/default
> file) be handled?

The namespace is defined by Debian Policy.  The filename should be
named after the package name.  Since the package names must be
different the file name derived from it must be different.  (I think
it is okay for /etc/default/foo to be part of a foo-common package
though.  The namespace intention has been preserved.)

Bob