Re: Unmark auto without apt-mark or aptitutude?

Malte Forkel wrote:
> How can I mark a package as being not auto(matically installed)? I know
> about aptitude and apt-mark, but both come from non-essential packages.
> I'm looking for a way to unmark a package that should always be available.

I am not aware of a dedicated program utility to do this that is
always available.  However $EDITOR and editor are always available and
they work.

To unmark a package as automatically installed.

  # editor /var/lib/apt/extended_states

Then find the package that you wish to change and take one of two
actions:

1) If the package is already listed in the file then modify the
   Auto-Installed: setting.  It would only be in there if the package
   had been installed as an automatic dependency and so normally that
   would be flipping the 1 to a 0.  It would be possible to remove the
   entry completely.

2) If the package is not already listed then it is known to be
   manually installed.  Create an entry to mark it as automatically
   installed.

Bob