Re: Can't install gnome-desktop-environment

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cybe_r_wizard@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Attempting to install gnome-desktop-environment gets me:
>
> gnome-desktop-environment:
>  Depends: gnome-core but it is not going to be installed
>  Depends: alacarte but it is not going to be installed
>  Depends: cheese but it is not going to be installed
>  Depends: deskbar-applet but it is not going to be installed
>  Depends: gdm3 but it is not going to be installed or
>        fast-user-switch-applet (>= 2.24)
>  Depends: gconf-editor but it is not going to be installed
>  Depends: gnome-system-tools but it is not going to be installed
>  Depends: seahorse-plugins but it is not going to be installed
>  Depends: totem-plugins but it is not going to be installed
>  Depends: libgnome2-perl but it is not going to be installed
>  Recommends: gnome-accessibility but it is not going to be installed
>  Recommends: gnome-games but it is not going to be installed
>
> ...which isn't very forthcoming with information as to why it isn't
> installable.  Does anyone have any clues or methods I might use to
> install?
>
> I've run into this quite a bit in trying to install various things and
> can't quite grasp the why.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard
> --
> Strength through Unity.
> Unity through faith.
>        Adam Sutler

Are you running Stable, Testing, or Unstable?

What does your /etc/apt/sources.list file look like?

If you are running Testing or Unstable, from my experience, meta
packages are broken from time to time due to the constant changing of
individual packages...such as the devs uploading one package that is
newer than the rest so the meta breaks until they upload the entire
group.